The Naked Crab

Monday, January 22, 2007

Grateful

Recently, I had to pay a visit to our local Centrelink office. (The equivalent of welfare office.) I qualify for a few government rebates now that I am a 'single' mum. I had never been to this place before.

As you might expect it was quite depressing. The mood was somber. People were shuffling slowly through lines or waiting for their name to be called. The receptionists seemed friendly and could crank out a smile for each new person who approached their desk. However, I immeadiately had the feeling that this was the last place I could work.

I walked in and had to wait in a line that moved slower than cold honey. Then once I was 'seen', I was told to wait in a small seated waiting area. I was informed that the wait was approx. 20 minutes. HA!!! Never believe government workers that have the ability to smile all day long.

A cool 50 minutes later, someone finally called my name. I can tell you this experience was only one notch higher than waiting in the emergency room. At least I wasn't in pain. Well... not at the start.

Finally, after an hour long interview, my forms were lodged, I was informed in a professional and politically correct manner that I would hear back about my claim one week from today's date. Bla bla bla. (See, I could never work there!) I really am not in to bureacracy and form filling outings. I am not a 'go by the book' kind of girl. But at times one must jump through hoops to get the free bucks... Right?

The worst part about that place, was seeing the people lining up for their welfare payments. I don't want to generalize, but if you want to find the 'down and out's' of life, the broken hearted people in humanity... the welfare office is a good place to start. Made me kind of think... how I sit here in my lovely shop and complain about 'work'. What I really have is a choice. I own a business and I have a teaching degree. Choice gives us freedom, and keeps us out of the welfare office. For that I am grateful.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Oh my, it really does give one a grateful heart, doesn't it? My very first job was in the "welfare" office, and it was, indeed, the most depressing place you could imagine. For the first year it bothered me greatly....then I guess you get numb. It's a shame...society would do well to remember there are those people out there, and do more for them.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger strauss said…

    Yep! The Housing trust is another God awful place.
    I would seriously HATE to work there. I waited for two hours in that place for someone who NEVER turned up...don't blame them.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger jeanie said…

    Hey there Heather - I found you through Strauss (who found me through Tracey, who I found through Miscellaneous Mum)!

    I always make it a policy to be as bright and cheerful to the poor desk jane or johnnie at Centrelink when I have to go in to rectify the stuff up of the month.

    I think that they have deliberately lowered the ceiling and painted the walls that green to make everyone look like a loser of equal value.

    LOL - there is NO WAY I could work there. I worked for a few government departments over the years and they are all very much against my grain!!!

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger strauss said…

    I would be "grateful" if another word greeted me when I checked into your blog ;)(hee hee)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home