The Naked Crab

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Went Snowshoeing and Bigfoot Grabbed Me


You know how it is... You are having a lovely day, tromping through untouched snow with your snowshoes on, when all the sudden a giant monkey-like figure reaches out and grabs you! Yes indeed, I was very lucky to escape with my clothes on!

My man (well part monkey actually, who stands at 6'8") took me on a wonderful snowshoeing excursion on my recent trip to Bend, Oregon. He claims to be Bigfoot, but no one will ever really know.

Neither of us had ever done snowshoeing before, so after strapping on the rather large shoes (his much bigger than mine), we headed into what can only be described as a winter wonderland.

At first it was all down hill. The cloud cover kept the temperatue from dipping too low, and the exercise warmed us from within. About 30 minutes into the hike, snowflakes began to drift down like angel kisses. As we walked on, larger flakes floated down to greet us, making the snowy scene surrounding us more beautiful.

I had this overwhelming desire to take the moment and put it in a bottle and hold on to it forever. Snow is as foreign to my neck of the woods as lizards are to your bathroom (see previous post).

We were working our way to a 'promised' shelter and finally made it after a good hour of hiking (uphill for the last 10 minutes). After warming up in front of a wood stove and having a few snacks, we headed back.

The sun came out as we concluded what turned out to be a 5 mile treck. It was just on the ebb of setting and as we took our final steps in the snow; a pink tinge formed on the clouds. The perfect end to my day with bigfoot. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger strauss said…

    Again...you can run, but you can't hide. Ha Ha.
    You had to walk uphill for a whole 10 minutes - geez!!!! ;)
    You make me laugh so much.
    Falling snow is so beautiful.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Muse said…

    hmmmmm, yes, I live to entertain you! You obviously didn't read the '5 mile' bit!

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger strauss said…

    Arhhh, thats just a stroll to the shops ;)

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    This is weird, but I've been wondering today what your new fella might look like...and here you post a photo! Good grief! He makes you look miniscule! Had no idea he was so tall...your Mom said nothing (other than he was quiet).
    I had to laugh at the 5 mile hike...that's a lot for someone as out of shape as you! (I should talk....) Bet you weren't walking too much the next day.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Muse said…

    NO not really.

    hee hee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home